History of the school
HTG was founded in 1883 as a private school for boys by Hugo Hermann Fürchtegott Treffner.
1883 - On 7 December 1883, Hugo Treffner was granted permission to found his own school, which began operating in January 1884. It was a school with three junior secondary grades (pro-gymnasium) and German as the language of instruction.
1886 - A house on Hobuse Street became the location of the school.
1889 - Russian became the language of instruction.
1890 - The school was granted the rights of an 8-class gymnasium
Kontakt
Hugo Treffneri Gümnaasium
Munga 12, Tartu 51007
Reg. kood: 75006807
kaardil
Office Secretary Ketlin Taidre - kantselei@htg.tartu.ee
tel +372 7461715
Alumni years
INFO
Our alumni have their own mailing list through which the school shares important information about events and activities happening at the school.
To join the list, please contact ott.ojaveer@htg.tartu.ee.
Schoolhouse
Schoolhouse
The school is located right in the heart of Tartu, at the corner of Munga and Rüütli streets, next to St. John’s Church.
It is a building that has served as a school for centuries. In fact, when Hugo Treffner Gymnasium (HTG) moved into its present location in 1919, different schools had already been there before, of which Tartu Province School is probably the best-known example.